What is Diabetes?
• India is the Capital of “Diabetes” in the world.
• Diabetes is a disease in which the body is unable to properly use and store glucose, causing high blood glucose level.
Type 1: Mostly it is found in young children.
Cause: Absence of Beta Cells in the Pancreas
Treatment: Insulin Injections
Type 2:In India most of the people are having type 2 Diabetes & generally this is Adult onset diabetes.
Treatment: Initially with Diet &/or Medicines. Insulin Injections are required when medicine fails to control the diabetes.
• Irregular Medications or Poor Diabetes Control can lead to several kind of side effects on the body parts (like - Heart, Brain, Kidney, Blood vessels, Nerves, Eyes etc.)
• In India the major cause of Kidney Failure and Blindness is DIABETES.
• Hence each patient must check their Diabetes on regular bases.
Methods for testing Diabetes
• RBS (Random Blood Sugar)
• FBS (Fasting Blood Sugar)
• PP2BS (Post Prandial Blood Sugar)
• HbA1c (Average blood sugar level of past 2-3 months)
• In spite of lots of care and treatment Diabetes is a progressive Disease. And so patients suffer from the side effects of Diabetes sooner or later.
• Medical Science is introducing newer techniques and treatments to maximise the control & to prevent / reverse the side effects of Diabetes.
• Today “Laparoscopic Metabolic Surgery” is changing the treatment of DIABETES due to high success rate in curing/controlling the Diabetes.
• Metabolic Surgery not only treats the Diabetes but also helps in controlling High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol , Sleep Apnoea, Joint / Spine pain, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome / Menstrual disorders, Obesity, etc.
• Metabolic Surgery / Bariatric Surgery is successful not only in obese patients but also in non-obese patients with Diabetes.
Who can undergo Surgery?
• Uncontrolled Diabetes ( even after adequate medical treatment)
• Long - standing Diabetes
• Diabetes with Obesity (BMI>30)
• Group of patients having High risk for the side effects of Diabetes
Benefits of Surgery
• Control of Diabetes ( HbA1c < 7.0 )
• Lowers the Cardiac Risk
• Lowers the risk of side effects of Diabetes to the Kidney, Brain, Nerves, Eyes etc..
• High Quality Lifestyle
How Surgery is done?
• Surgery is done Laparoscopically with Low risk, Less pain and Faster recovery.
• The Type of Metabolic surgery is chosen considering the whole profile of the patient.
• One must consult Metabolic Surgeon for the right choice of surgery for the best result.