What is IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome)?
Irritable or sensitive bowel is a condition in which the colon muscle contracts in an abnormal fashion, which may lead to several problems.
• Females are affected twice than man
• Under 45 age group
• Family history of IBS
• Mental health problems
• Other illness of GI tract
Rome Criteria of IBS
• According to these criteria, one must have certain signs and symptoms before a doctor diagnoses irritable bowel syndrome
• The most important are abdominal pain and discomfort lasting at least three days a month in the last three months, associated with two or more of following:
1) Improvement with defecation
2) Altered frequency of stool (straining, urgency, or feeling of incomplete evacuation)
3) Altered consistency of stool (lumpy/hard or loose/watery stool)
Note : Generally by exclusion of other diseases - Ruling out parasitic infections, lactose intolerance, small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, and coeliac disease is recommended for all patients before a diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome is made.
- In patients over 50 years old, they are recommended to undergo a screening colonoscopy.
• Barium X – Ray
• Lactose intolerance test
• Psychological evaluation
• Chronic diarrhoea
• Mental health counselling & stress reduction
• Increasing amount of liquids
• Small frequent feeds
• Stool softener
• Medication – Probiotics
• Exercise & enough sleep